Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I have been working on my revision for the opinion column and for the most part it is going really well. The only thing I am still unsure how to fix is the ending. Does anyone have any ideas for a good strong closing line? I have this problem of rambling on to a completely different tangent. so yeah any suggestions would be great. And I plan on look at other people's papers over this break sometime too! Speaking of which I am done with class after 3:30 tuesday, so I have no classes wednesday! Thank you Dr. Robson!

I have been thinking alot about Kelsey's topic of animal testing. I usually am pretty sympathetic towards animals, but in this case logically I can't see banning animal testing completely. I think maybe strict guidelines on animal care while being tested is a good thing. But if I had to decide whether to test on a mouse and possibly cause harm to develop a medicine or painfully die without a lifesaving medication.... i would probably harm the mouse. I think it is just human instinct to value our lives and selves more than animals.
Though sometimes i get second thoughts, i will never forget when I asked my mother if she would permit stem cell testing to save my life or let the embryo live and let me die.... and she said she would let me DIE! at the time i was really shocked, but now i think she has a point. We all have a time planned by God to die. Plus life has so many dark, hateful, and difficult things- why would we want to prolong the experience, especially past what God has in mind. This is hard to say.... but maybe we should just take life as it comes and not try to fight it with medications, vaccines, etc. Especially if they come at the expense of other living beings... Animals! I realize my view is really flip flopping but it is a hard issue. It is really hard to know what to call right and wrong, mostly because we have had so many miraculous medical breakthroughs thanks to animal testing. Could we really stop it now?

No comments: